I am still not very far along in my sound recognition with the cochlear implant. I have been relying on it for a little over a week as my only source of hearing. Everyday, I notice a little improvement.
For now, the sounds are still like noise, but each noise is starting to have its owner. I am starting to recognize the source of each noise, which is very helpful.
This is what it sounds like right now
- My own voice is starting to appear to me, but it sounds like 4 or 5 voices talking together. To me, I am my own choir.
- The environment sounds like an orchestra before a performance, with each instrument being tuned and playing separately from the others, all of this happening at the same time, in a school cafeteria at lunch time.
- Voices sound like they are being accompanied by quartets of tubas and cellos.
- Every once in a while, I hear a loud sound that is just like the sound of shooting one of the wings off of a blue bird on level three of Phoenix for the Atari 2600.
- Everything is jumbled, inside out, upside down, multiplied, echoed, and then put through a badly tuned radio with a short on the volume knob, causing it to get louder and softer without warning.