Thursday, January 26, 2012

Anxious for Meaningful Sound

I’ve been deaf again for 6 days. My cochlear implant has provided me with lots of noise to listen to and a few indicators as to what is going on around me, like footsteps and impact sounds.

My hearing test showed that I could barely register a couple of frequencies at 120db. That was it. My doctor told me to wear my hearing aid for a few hours each day to stimulate my ear a little more. I was wearing it when I got home yesterday, and my son got so excited when he saw me.

“You’re wearing your hearing aid!” I read his lips. “That means you can hear me again!”

“No, not yet.” I replied “Just a little tiny bit with my cochlear implant.”

He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “I love you, daddy.”

What a special boy I have.

Nilson and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment