Friday, November 4, 2011

First Impression after Activation

My cochlear implant was activated about 5 hours ago. I am sending video to youtube right now and will post the implant experience here when it is ready. In the meantime, let me just write out my first impression.

--

The biggest thing was that I did not really hear very much. I could feel the electrodes doing their thing more than I could experience sound. What I heard was kind of like a clicking, or a cricket, or maybe a blacksmith hitting an anvil in the distance. But, whenever they upped the power enough for me to hear, I felt a little dizzy, sleepy, startled and nauseated. Basically, I am not used to the stimulation. The volume/power was backed down a good bit, so I am not hearing much at all, but rather feeling the effect of sound. In a week, I will go back for another adjustment and again every week for a while. I think the hearing and hearing of meaningful sound will come a little at a time.

MED-EL has a great presentation of their product, the packaging and the supplies. I felt like a rich man with all the things I got. I’ll post pictures when I can.

I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment